-->

The Mystery of Conditionals - If Conditional

Conditionals

The Four Conditionals

What are Conditionals?

Conditionals are sentences that generally consist of two clauses, one which is dependent on the other.

So; The conditional sentence - any conditional sentence - has two parts: 

If Clause  +  ,  +  Main Clause

If  you heat water to 100 degrees, | it boils. ⟹⏩ if clause | main clause

Water boils | if you heat it to 100 degrees. ⟹ ⏩ main clause | if clause  

🌞 Order is not important. The "Main Clause" can come before "if clause", only you will not use a "comma" in this case.

How many forms of conditional?

The Four Forms of Conditional

  • Zero Conditional
  • First Conditional
  • Second Conditional
  • Third Conditional

ZERO CONDITIONAL

Usage:

- General truths

- General habits 

Zero Conditional - Structure
If ClauseMain ClauseExamples
Present simplePresent simple- If it rains, I wear a coat.
- If you heat metal, it expands.
- If you mix red and blue, you get purple
- Ice melts if you heat it.

FIRST CONDITIONAL

Usage:

- Possibly or likely things in the present or future.

First Conditional - Structure
If ClauseMain ClauseExamples
Present simpleFuture Simple
(Will + infinitive)
- If it rains, I will wear a coat.
- If it is sunny, I will go to the beach.
- If you eat too many chips, you will get fat.
- If I have extra money, I will invest it.

SECOND CONDITIONAL

Usage:

- Impossible things in the present.  Hypothetical unreal situations.

Second Conditional - Structure
If ClauseMain ClauseExamples
Past simpleWould                      
       Could   +  Infinitive     
might                     

- If I won the lottery, I would give you all the money.
- If I had the time, I would learn Spanish.
- I would be famous if I played in a big team.
- If I had extra money, I would invest it.

THIRD CONDITIONAL

Usage:

- Impossible unreal situations in the past that usually indicate regret.

Third Conditional - Structure
If ClauseMain ClauseExamples
Past PerfectWould + Perfect
(Would+have+P.P.)
- If she had studied, she would have passed the exam.
- If you had told me you needed a ride, I would have left earlier.
- If we had taken a taxi, we wouldn't have missed the plane.


See you with the Test On Conditionals .. Good luck.

Post a Comment

0 Comments